Why Choose this Training Course?
Matrix Management is ideal in organizations for sharing employees and resources across functions. It offers access to specialized knowledge on a temporary basis while being more cost-effective than relying on dedicated teams. In a Matrix structure, an individual has a primary report-to boss while also working for one or more managers, typically on projects. This gives the team the ability to draw upon diverse skill sets from multiple disciplines, strengthening the project team. This practice-laden training course enables delegates to master the essential concepts of Matrix Management and how organizations can effectively deal with complex issues like problems, role ambiguity and conflicts. It provides trainees with the opportunity to experience different methods, tools and techniques which will enable leaders to improve performance, achieve desired results and approach the role with confidence.
What are the Goals?
By attending this COPEX Training Course, delegates will be able to master the methods, tools and techniques of Matrix management to capitalize on the advantages of flexibility, greater security and control of the project, plus opportunities for their own development.
More specifically, they should be able to:
- Differentiate Approaches and Roles Between a Traditional Manager and a Matrix Manager
- Apply a Variety of Practical Methods and Specific Tools and Techniques to Lead a Matrix-Based Team Effectively
- Set Up Project Teams on a Temporary and Finite Basis for the Fulfilment of Customers’ Needs
- Bring Specialists Together in a New Environment to Enhance the Dynamic and Innovative View of Problems in a Different Way
- Motivate Diverse and Complex Teams to Solve Conflicts Themselves Without Relying on Sources Outside the Matrix
Who is this Training Course for?
This COPEX training course is suitable for a wide range of professionals who are involved in Matrix Management and who want to understand, implement and improve the latest Matrix Management concepts, processes and ideas. For example:
- Senior Executives
- Line & Functional Managers
- Project Managers
- Group Leaders and Team personnel
- Shift and Supervisory Staff
- Introduction: What is Matrix management?
- The 5W1H (What, Who, When, Where, Why & How) of matrix-managed teams
- The dimensions of matrix team working: Functional, Cross-functional, Global, Extended
- The implications of teams having two 'Chains of Command'
- The advantages and challenges of matrix teams
- The outputs of matrix management: Leadership and Management perspectives
- Matrix vs Traditional teams: Differences in leadership, decision making and collaboration
- Expectations on the matrix team leaders
- Becoming accountable to the needs of the team
- How to maintain focus and demonstrate concern
- Appropriate level of involvement and control
- Providing direction working inside the group vs positional authority
- Cross-functional accountability for matrix team leaders
- The skills, qualities and attributes needed in matrix management
- Understanding impacts of leaders’ style and influence on the team
- Communicating and controlling at appropriate levels for matrix team leaders
- Developing a passion to release potentials in team members
- Delivering performance effectively in a complex environment
- Managing Projects: Lifecycle, tools, triple constraints and critical success factors
- The makeup of high performing matrix teams
- Group process facilitation – enabling the team to achieve
- Team problem solving – encouraging collaboration and collective management control
- Team decision making – empowering the team to reach their own decisions based on team’s charter
- Team communication – representing the voice of the team within the wider organization
- Increasing engagement and staying connected
- International considerations such as cultural drivers, language and time differences
- Developing mutual understanding and cultural sensitivity
- Improving communication: When and How
- Tools and techniques for influencing and virtual communication
- Preventing and managing conflict
- Application Planning - Developing a practical application plan focused on your own specific matrix team
- COPEX Certificate of Attendance will be provided to delegates who attend and complete the course